RE: Exportable encryption & Kerberos

"Mike Swift (NT)" <mikesw@microsoft.com> Fri, 16 January 1998 18:58 UTC

From: "Mike Swift (NT)" <mikesw@microsoft.com>
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
Cc: cat-ietf@mit.edu
Subject: RE: Exportable encryption & Kerberos
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 10:58:32 -0800

I agree that the words "domestic" and "exportable" were poor choices - how
about "strong" and "weak", so that there are no doubts about what is being
offered? I thought about extending the AP request to include additional enc
types. However, negotiating both a key & and encryption type at the same
time is difficult - the thing to do might be to expand the key in the AP_REQ
to be a sequence of keys, and the server replies with they key it chose or
its own key.

Any support for distinguishing between strong & weak encryption is by its
very nature incompatible - clients and servers that only do weak encryption
have to fail requests to and from machine that do strong encryption, so
extending the AP request structure might be reasonable.

- Mike