Re: Label type to be used

Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be Sat, 27 March 2004 12:44 UTC

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:30:52 +0100
From: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be
To: "Ong, Lyndon" <LyOng@Ciena.com>
Cc: 'Lou Berger' <lberger@movaz.com>, Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Label type to be used
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

the proposal that makes a fully transparent Sonet/SDH encoded capable
link appearing as [X,LSC] or [LSC,X], or [LSC,LSC] w/ a label defined as
a port and/or lambda is aligned with the evolution of the definition
towards OTN (coming from the so-called pre-OTN) technology and thus
probably better than trying to retain the TDM value for it (with several
flavours)

so you would have something like this when trying to harmonize in
between the several documents we have tnat deals with this specific
representation issue, i also think it provides the distinction you're
asking for b/w fiber and so-called clear channels:

2.4.4. Lambda-Switch Capable

   If an interface is of type LSC, it means that the node receiving data
   over this interface can recognize and switch individual lambdas
   within the interface.  An interface that allows only one lambda per
   interface, and switches just that lambda is of type LSC.
 > This includes interfaces that only support fully transparent SONET/SDH
 > signals, as defined in [GMPLS-SONET-SDH].

[...]

2.4.7. Interface Switching Capabilities and Labels

      [PSC, PSC] - label is carried in the "shim" header [RFC3032]
 >    [TDM, TDM] - label represents a timeslot ([GMPLS-SONET-SDH],
                      [GMPLS-G709])
 >    [LSC, LSC] - label represents a G.709 OCh/lambda/port
 >    [FSC, FSC] - label represents a fiber (i.e. physical port)
 >    [PSC, TDM] - label represents a timeslot ([GMPLS-SONET-SDH],
                      [GMPLS-G709])
 >    [PSC, LSC] - label represents a G.709 OCh/lambda/port
 >    [PSC, FSC] - label represents a fiber
 >    [TDM, LSC] - label represents a G.709 OCh/lambda/port
 >    [TDM, FSC] - label represents a fiber
 >    [LSC, FSC] - label represents a fiber

 > Note: except when explicitly indicated the label encoding MUST follow
 > the rules defined in [RFC3471] Section 3.2.

ps: in fact one sees here that for the "timeslot" case, the switching
type TDM value equates the encoding one

--
Papadimitriou Dimitri
E-mail : dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be