Re: [CCAMP] New Version Notification for draft-long-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability-03.txt

"Shah, Himanshu" <hshah@ciena.com> Thu, 06 March 2014 12:15 UTC

From: "Shah, Himanshu" <hshah@ciena.com>
To: "Yemin (Amy)" <amy.yemin@huawei.com>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 07:15:30 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-CA
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] New Version Notification for draft-long-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability-03.txt

In line..

-----Original Message-----
From: CCAMP [mailto:ccamp-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Yemin (Amy)
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:52 AM
To: ccamp@ietf.org

Hi all,

Two drafts for discrete bandwidth link(microwave) are updated according the comments received from last meeting.
Changes are:
- A new co-author to our drafts: Himanshu Shah
- A new appendix to explain the bandwidth and availability
- Contention resolution:  by comparing the node ID
- Backward compatibility:  A node who doesn’t support availability TLV should ignore the related information
- To describe the full procedure, make a reference to the routing draft in the signaling draft, and vice versa
- Editorial improvements

But I still have two questions that I'd like to have discussion on the list:
1. The signaling extension define a new sub-TLV under Ethernet bandwidth profile TLV with 32bits to describe the availability. However, there are 16 bits reserved field in the Ethernet bandwidth profile TLV. Fitting the availability value into 16bits is possible, but the cost is losing some granularity. Any one has better idea?

[Himanshu>] I think sub-TLV is a better choice as it provides room for extension. Both approaches may have legacy related issue, I think..
- if reserved bits are used, some legacy boxes may reject because reserved bits are not zero (actually it should ignore)
- if sub-TLV is not recognized, the receiving router may interpret total length field incorrectly as legit ETH b/w profile with appended junk.

2. The routing extension is based on ISCD(RFC4203), defining a sub-TLV under the link TLV. Is it a good choice?
[Himanshu>] I think so

Any comments are welcome.

BR,
Amy(on behalf of co-authors)