RE: draft-ietf-ccamp-lmp-test-sonet-sdh-01.txt

John Drake <jdrake@calient.net> Fri, 21 March 2003 16:41 UTC

From: John Drake <jdrake@calient.net>
To: 'Stephen Trowbridge' <sjtrowbridge@lucent.com>, ccamp <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ccamp-lmp-test-sonet-sdh-01.txt
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:41:19 -0800

Stephen,

I think there may be some misunderstanding about how the Jx Trace
Correlation actually works.

Normally the Test message is sent in the data plane using the various
SDH/SONET overhead bytes.  However, for backwards compatibility with all
existing SDH/SONET equipment, the Trace Correlation transport mechanism was
introduced.  When it is used, the existing pattern in the overhead bytes of
a particular data link is passed in a Test Message sent over the control
plane.  See below:

Thanks,

John

0x08 J0-trace: J0 Section Trace Correlation

                Capable of transmitting SONET/SDH Section/RS trace over
                J0 Section/RS overhead byte as defined in ANSI
                T1.105/ITU-T G.707.

                The Test message is not transmitted using the J0 bytes
                (i.e., over the data link), but is sent over the
                control channel and correlated for consistency to the
                received J0 pattern.

                In order to get the mapping between the Interface_Id
                over which the J0 test message is sent and the J0
                pattern sent in-band, the transmitting node must
                provide the correlation between this pattern and the J0
                test message.  This correlation is done using the TRACE
                object as defined in Section 4
..

                The format of the test message is as follows:

                <Test Message> ::= <Common Header> <LOCAL_INTERFACE_ID>
                <VERIFY_ID> <TRACE>

                Note that no change is required for the
                TestStatusSuccess or TestStatusFailure messages.