Re: Bandwidth modification in GMPLS

Maarten Vissers <mvissers@lucent.com> Tue, 04 December 2001 11:36 UTC

Cc: manoj juneja <manojkumarjuneja@hotmail.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, kireeti@juniper.net, eric.mannie@gtsgroup.com, "Helvoort, Huub van" <hhelvoort@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 12:36:17 +0100
From: Maarten Vissers <mvissers@lucent.com>
To: Dimitri Papadimitriou <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be>
Subject: Re: Bandwidth modification in GMPLS

Dimitri,

I am not comparing the two methods. I am describing how LCAS operates the SEQ
IDs and how connection management has to support virtual concatenation with
LCAS. GMPLS is an implementation of distributed connection management, and must
therefore support what I described.

In addition, connection management must support a means to perform the same
capabilities for the case one or both endpoints do not support LCAS, but allow
resizing the pipe. The proposal you made in your LBM document is much more
restrictive than LCAS capable implementations. It is up to the operators to
decide if these restrictions are acceptable. It is most likely a trade of
between less restrictions/more complex protocol and more restrictions/less
complex protocol.

Personally, I would like to compare two proposals: one that supports all LCAS
capabilities (except of course the hitless one), the other that includes
restrictions. If the complexity difference is not too large, go for the full
capabilities support, otherwise select the one with the restrictions.

Regards,

Maarten