Re: WG dcoument status

Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be Mon, 25 February 2002 23:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:44:04 +0100
From: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be
To: Stephen Trowbridge <sjtrowbridge@lucent.com>
Cc: Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: WG dcoument status

Stephen,

IMHO, your e-mail raises two issues 1) Procedural 2) Technical

Procedural:

The first question to ask yourself is "WHY does the CCAMP community
has to consider this abstract control plane model as a "de facto"
architecture that has to be integrated into GMPLS?"

So "Why should we have "special cases" for ITU people, requirements
or models, why aren't they proposing contributions as any other
IETFer does?"

Technical:

AFAIK, G.ASON is based on a fundamental assumption: no routing
information exchange between the client and server layer. GMPLS
does not have such stringent restriction. Consequently, this makes
the call/connection separation (while mandatory per requirement in
the stringent G.ASON model) not at all necessary in the IETF scope
since the "routing exchange" fulfills the role played by the call
operation. Moreover since you ask for clear separation, any impact
on the "connection" part (ie the referenced WG docs) is precluded
by your own definition. So no impact on "existing" WG docs by adding
your optional processing for call purposes i.e. there shouldn't be
any backward compatibility issue with these WG docs.

Also in light with your "liaison" document: the restart capability
issues have been addressed on this mailing list - at least 3 times -
The conclusion (let's refresh people mind) was that what you are
additionally asking here is more than clearly (i would say luminous)
outside of the scope of a "standard" since strictly related to an
internal system processing, implying that just rough guidelines have
to be added (but nothing more). No backward compatibility issue here.
Btw, CCAMP should probably sent as liaison a summary of the mailing
list discussions to the ITU SG15. This would help to achieve faster
results.

Considering that "crankback" is a broader scope than just the abstract
G.ASON model, i don't think we have to worry too much about your
announced obsolescence of GMPLS I-Ds ;-)

Conclusion:

GMPLS scope being much more larger than ITU-T G.ASON overlay model,
while optional G.ASON related addition MUST NOT impact the existing
content of the WG documents, i strongly suggest to consider here
your SECOND option only as we did by the way for OIF extensions.
This makes your optional extensions still feasible while keeping
the existing document ongoing... and so the original document won't
be obsolete AT ALL (as they will never be btw). More important from
an IETF perspective, i don't see any valuable reason to delay the
two documents under discussion here (or at least not due to this
liaison statement).

PS:

when you say
"I am aware that it may not be the goal of everyone that these drafts
meet all of these requirements in the first version. But I think it is
our long term goal that these protocols and the ITU-T requirements
converge to the same solution."

You should probably rephrase it as "I am aware that it may not be the
goal of everyone that these drafts meet all of these requirements in
the first version. But I think it is MY (AS INDIVIDUAL ???) long term
goal that these protocols and the ITU-T requirements converge to the
same solution."

When will you understand that NOBODY anymore knows who speaks: Steve
Trowbridge (as individual), ITU-T SG15 Vice Chair (as representative),
"Sub-IP directorate" delegate ???

So thanks to sign your e-mails with the appropriate "name".
- dimitri.

--
Papadimitriou Dimitri
E-mail : dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be