Re: [CCAMP] Thought on where to carry G.709-v3 TSG

Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com> Mon, 10 October 2011 13:06 UTC

From: Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:06:33 +0200
acceptlanguage: it-IT, en-US
Cc: CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Thought on where to carry G.709-v3 TSG

Hi Lou,

Let's try with an example showing that in a muxing hierarchy not every layer must use the same TSG. Please consider the following path.

                     IF1     IF2
A ------ B -------- C ----------D
|--ODU2--|          |---ODU2----|
         |---ODU3---|

Suppose an ODU2 from A to D is set up in order to carry an ODU0, so D needs to be able to perform ODU0->ODU2 demuxing. The ODU2 is carried over an ODU3 FA from B to C.
B is not able to support ODU2 and can only carry it through an ODU3@2,5Gbps TSG. It does not care about the fact that the ODU2 is carrying and ODU0 and a 1,25 TSG is needed to extract it, since the extraction is performed by D.

D advertises both hierarchy information and TSG capability on IF2: muxing hierarchy ODU0->ODU2 and TSG field = 01 (i.e. Both 1,25 and 2,5 supported).

The ODU0 is terminated only on D, so B can forward the ODU2 over the ODU3 FA using a TSG = 2,5 Gbps *but* if multiple interfaces are present from C to D, C must choose an OTU2 inferface supporting an 1,25 TSG adaptation towards the client.

In conclusion, when setting up an ODU2 LSP, that has to be able to extract an ODU0 in the termination node, TSG information carried in the ODU2 LSP signaling (so referred to ODU0 carried over it) has NO impact on the label allocation for the ODU2 LSP (in fact label allocation for link BC is @2,5 Gbps). Label allocation for the ODU2 LSP is impacted by the TSG capability offered by the underlying ODU3 link/FA.

So the answer to you question is: The LSP's supported TSG does not impact the label allocation/selection. The label allocaction/selection is only impacted by the server link/FA TSG.

As a further clarification, the reason why in our opinion the TSG is not relevant to the traffic parameters is that the type of LSP being set up does not influence the TSG of the server layer (which has already been fixed) but only the choice of the right server.

Thanks
Daniele, Sergio, Pietro

PS. The piece of text in the info model referring to the optional object is in page 9, section 4.1:
"The G-PID information is not enough to have a complete choice since
 the penultimate hop node has to distinguish between interfaces with
 the same TSG (e.g. 1.25Gbps) whether the interface is able to support
 the right hierarchy, i.e. it is possible to have two interfaces both
 at 1.25 TSG but only one is supporting ODU0.

 A dedicated optional object should to be defined in order to carry
 the multiplexing hierarchy and have a more precise choice capability.
 In this way, when the penultimate node receives the GENERALIZED LABEL
 REQUEST Object, the G-PID value together with the ODU bandwdith
 included into the Traffic Parameters Object allow desuming the
 correct TSG value."