RE: Polling for two new working group I-Ds

"O'Connor, Don" <don.oconnor@us.fujitsu.com> Wed, 15 August 2007 22:27 UTC

Subject: RE: Polling for two new working group I-Ds
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:22:32 -0500
From: "O'Connor, Don" <don.oconnor@us.fujitsu.com>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Adrian

I do not believe that draft-nadeau-ccamp-gmpls-oam-requirements-01.txt should be a work group document until two clarifications / improvements are made to the current text, and we have agreement that the requirements specification will be socialized with ITU and IEEE 802.1 by way of an appropriate liaison. The two changes to the text that I request are

1) In Section 1 Introduction, please change the sentence

"This document describes requirements for data plane operations and management (OAM) for Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) networks"

"This document describes requirements for control plane operations and management (OAM) for Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) networks. It also describes OAM requirements associated with the interaction between the GMPLS Control Plane and Data Plane OAM."

2) In Section 4 General Requirements, please change the sentence

"The general requirements described in this section are based on those described for point-to-point MPLS in [RFC4377]."

"For MPLS-TE/GMPLS networks, the general requirements described in this section are based on those described for point-to-point MPLS in [RFC4377]."

Considering that ITU SG 15 has responsibility for SDH / SONET and WDM data planes and IEEE 802.1 has responsibility for the 802.1ah PBB and 802.1ay PBB-TE data planes, including data plane OAM - the ID should be sent to these SDOs with an appropriate liaison.

IEEE 802.1 is also doing PBB / PBB-TE MIBs and ITU SG 4 is responsible for the management of SDH / SONET / WDM networks, so any new management requirements that this ID identifies, will be relevant to the purview of these SDOs

Regards

Don