RE: J0/J1 encoding issues

John Drake <jdrake@calient.net> Thu, 05 December 2002 02:35 UTC

From: John Drake <jdrake@calient.net>
To: "'jonathan.sadler@tellabs.com'" <jonathan.sadler@tellabs.com>
Cc: "Razdan, Rajender" <RRazdan@ciena.com>, Jonathan Lang <jplang@calient.net>, "'Brungard, Deborah A, ALASO '" <dbrungard@att.com>, 'ccamp ' <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: RE: J0/J1 encoding issues
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 18:35:33 -0800

Jonathan S,

Okay, now you've really confused me.

In this e-mail, you seem to be saying that any T.50 character is valid in
J0/J1/J2.  However, in your earlier e-mail, which is included way down at
the bottom of this e-mail, you say "The requirements for J0/J1/J2 (found
in G.707) state the trace message payload must utilize the printable
characters
defined in T.50".

Which is the real requirement?

If it is the former, then there is no issue with
draft-lang-ccamp-lmp-bootstrap.
I.e., T.50 defines all possible 7 bit values and
draft-lang-ccamp-lmp-bootstrap
specifies that 7 bits of information are to be carried in each octet, so by
definition every possible seven bit value is a valid T.50 character.

If it is the latter, then it doesn't sound as though the latest draft
G.7714.1
is any more conformant than draft-lang-ccamp-lmp-bootstrap is.

Thanks,

John