IANA-GMPLS-TC-MIB was New versions of GMPLS MIBs

"Tom Petch" <nwnetworks@dial.pipex.com> Thu, 13 October 2005 20:50 UTC

From: Tom Petch <nwnetworks@dial.pipex.com>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Cc: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <tnadeau@cisco.com>
Subject: IANA-GMPLS-TC-MIB was New versions of GMPLS MIBs
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:50:51 +0200
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Adrian

I am still uncomfortable with the apparent lack of constraints for the
allocation of new values in IANA-GMPLS-TC-MIB.  There is now

"The rules for additions or changes to the IANA-GMPLS-TC-MIB are
   outlined in the DESCRIPTION clause associated with its
   MODULE-IDENTITY statement."

but I do not see anything about this in the DESCRIPTION clause.  Rather, it is
the DESCRIPTION clauses of individual TCs that contain the information, e.g.

"This textual convention is strongly tied to the Switching
             Types sub-registry of the GMPLS Signaling Parameters
             registry managed by IANA. Values should be assigned by IANA
             in step with the Switching Types sub-registry and using the
             same registry management rules. However, the actual values
             used in this textual convention are solely within the
             purview of IANA and do not necessarily match the values in
             the values in the Switching Types sub-registry.
<snip>
             Requests for new values should be made to IANA via
             email (iana@isi.edu)."
.
It is that "However ..." that bugs me; coupled with the final sentence, I still
see an e-mail from anyone in any SDO or elsewhere causing IANA to allocate a new
value regardless of on-going work in the IETF.  Perhaps unlikely given the
close-knit world of GMPLS but I would still like to see tighter control, Expert
Review would be my choice.

But I am also unclear what change control was intended by the wording in the
latest draft.

As with my my earlier e-mail,

"Somewhat bigger issue; I am concerned that no constraint is placed on the
allocation by IANA of new values in the IANA MIB module, where the base
documents call for more stringent action (although there is some disagreement as
to what that is).  As it stands, it seems to me that anyone in the world can
e-mail IANA and get a new value assigned in the IANA MIB module, whereas I think
it should be the appearance of an RFC, eg draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-routing or
draft-ietf-ccamp-ospf-gmpls-extensions, which triggers that action, perhaps by
Expert Review ie the existence of a new name/number mapping is documented in an
RFC or I-D and Expert Review allows that mapping to be added to IANA MIB module.
We could require the RFC that introduces a new mapping to have an IANA section
that updates the MIB module but I fear that most editors would forget to include
it, so Expert Review seems best.

Tom Petch