Re: [CCAMP] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-vallin-ccamp-alarm-module-00.txt

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Wed, 11 October 2017 10:19 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 12:18:23 +0200
To: ietfc@btconnect.com
Cc: ccamp@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-vallin-ccamp-alarm-module-00.txt

Hi,

"t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com> wrote:
> Martin
>
> When first I read this, in its netmod designation, I scribbled in the
> margin
> ** immenseley complicated

Can you be more specific; is this to be interpreted in the light of
your next comment (i.e., related to the text), or are you thinking
about the data model's structure (or something else)?

> ** 20 pages of motherhood
> :-(
>
> It is unlike any other YANG module I-D that I have read.  Most such I-D
> are woefully weak on background information, leaving the reader in the
> dark as to the what and why of the YANG module.
>
> This goes off the scale in the opposite direction (IMHO).
>
> If you want to write an essay on Alarms, adding to the mountains that
> ITU-T have already produced, not to mention some smaller items of the
> IETF, then that should be a separate I-D, which the YANG module I-D, or
> any other I-D, can reference.
>
> As it is, I think that those 20 pages may alienate those whom you might
> like to review this, since they will know it already

Ok.  If the background material is not needed, we can remove it (or
move to an Appendix or possibly another document, as you suggest).

I assume you are referring to sections 3 and 4, and large parts of the
text in section 5?  Some of the text in section 5 would still be
needed, but it can certainly be rewritten so that it is shorter.

/martin