RE: draft-ietf-ccamp-tracereq-01.txt

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Tue, 22 April 2003 15:54 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: Ron Bonica <Ronald.P.Bonica@mci.com>, "Ccamp-wg (E-mail)" <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ccamp-tracereq-01.txt
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:54:57 +0200

Some comments from my side inline

No problem... we all need that once in a while (or so I think)

> > Comments inline.....

Might be a good idea...

> > > 2. i am concerned about the security stuff that they've buried in
> > >    their requirements. nothing definite. it seems unwieldy. but
> > >    then, so many security things do...
> >
> > Can you be more specific? Is there any particular requirement that
> > you feel cannot be implemented?

Well... remember I had a bot of trouble finding which of the numbered
bullets needed some extra security or not... I guess that is what the
commenting person may have meant with "burried".

> > > 3. section 4.1 and 4.2 seem to be worded with a particular
> > >    implementation in mind. requirements documents ought not
> > >    specify solutions (eg, 4.2 talks about udp, why can't i use
> > >    icmp?)
> >
> > Section 4 provides a few protocol requirements, stated as such. In
> > particular, Section 4.1 states that the new protocol will consist of
> > probes and responses, and that each probe/response pair will reveal
> > information regarding a network hop. (In this respect, the
> > new protocol will resemble TRACEROUTE).
> >
> > Had I remembered to include an application requirement to support partial
> > traces through broken paths, this requirement would have made much more
> > sense!
> > I will fix this.

Great

> > Section 4.2 requires that the protocol be implemented over UDP. I included
> > this section primarily to rule out implmentations that were _not_
> > acceptable. For example, ICMP should not be used, because carrying MPLS
> > information over ICMP would constitute a layer violation. TCP should not
> > be used, because this would conflict with the protocol's
> > requirement for statelessness. Tunnel specific mechanisms
> > should not be used, because
> > this would conflict with the requirement for generality.
> >
> > This leaves UDP and IP as the two most resonable candidates. Should I
> > include some words the that effect in the document?

So, although I guess many (nmost) of us understand that, adding some of that
explantnion to the document may help (more novice) readers.

> > > 4. justification of requirements might be nice.
> > >

> > This is interesting, but it could result in a much longer
> > document. Wouldn't this distract the reader from the document's
> > basic intent?

Always difficult to say. I personally like for example RFC3216 format.

> > In any event, I will spin a new version of the document as
> > soon as there is some response to this message.

Good. I hope to get responses soon.

Others on the WG list, please do chime in if you have an opinion.

Bert