Re: [CCAMP] Flexible Grids Presentations at the next IETF

Ramon Casellas <ramon.casellas@cttc.es> Thu, 29 March 2012 10:57 UTC

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:57:28 +0200
From: Ramon Casellas <ramon.casellas@cttc.es>
To: ccamp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Flexible Grids Presentations at the next IETF

On 03/29/2012 11:10 AM, BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A wrote:
> All,
>          As discussed in yesterday's session, we are looking for the authors of
> the flexible grid related drafts to work on merging like drafts.  We are
> hopeful that we will be discussing the merged requirements/framework,
> routing, signaling, and LMP drafts at the next meeting.  If such merging
> does not occur before the next meeting, we (the chairs) will most likely
> use the session time to discuss issues preventing such merging and not
> schedule any individual presentations on the topic.

Dear Deborah, flexi-grid drafts (co)-authors, all

Following WG chairs suggestion and in order to move forward / integrate
drafts, please find below (my own) summary of open issues / draft
differences and possible choices.

Sorry for the length of the mail. Please, feel free to correct/add or
comment. The list reflects in part my views and comments in past emails
and private conversations, and mistakes are my own

Of course, stated for the gazillion-th, everything is conditioned by
ITU-T data plane :-) -- which will definitely impact some of the points
below, notably I and I-B)

that said:

I) Are non-contiguous frequency slots in scope?
===============================

a) No, we should focus on the  use case of having a contiguous frequency
slot, defined by n and m.

b) Yes, it should be integral part of the data plane model

c) Yes, but it can be done using virtual concatenation (even at a later
stage, when I.a is mature)

d) A new framework of multi-channel  (not in the sense of optical
modulation formats) should be defined, generically (Igor?)

afaik 2 fwk drafts assume I.a and potentially I.c // 1 fwk draft assumes b

I-B) Optical Conversion
================

*) Does an LSP start and end at a given trail termination? is the
equivalent of wavelength conversion (spectrum conversion) considered?

*) Does an LSP span O/E/O conversions or only transparent segments?

afaik, current drafts assume an LSP may span O/E/O

II) Switching capability Layer / Region
=========================

a) SSON as evolution of WSON, same LSC

      - an extension of WSON allowing heterogeneous requests

      - backwards compatibility with WSON? Interworking?

      - Potential problems with the max LSP bw per prio in the iscd (see
routing)

      - Potential problems with having the same swcap but the label
format changes w.r.t. wson (for some definitions of label encoding / format)

      - Will reuse a lot of work / procedures / encodings defined in the
context of wson

b) A new SwCap may need to be defined

       - LSC swcap already defined ISCD which can not be modified

       - It may be problematic to have a the same swcap but different
label formats. Role of LSP encoding type?

       - This may be necessary depending on the retained data plane model

* Notion of hierarchy?

        - There is no notion of hierarchy between WSON  and flexi-grid /
SSON - only interop / interwork

III) Label format (see also V)
=========================

a) Assuming a data plane model I.a) "m" (the parameter that defines the
slot width, as in m*12.5 GHz) "m" is inherent part of the label

            - It is part of the switching

            - It allows encode the "lightpath" in a ERO using Explicit
Label Control

            - Still maintains that feature a cross-connect is defined by
the tuple (port-in, label-in, port-out, label-out), allows a kind-of
"best effort LSP"

b) Assuming a data plane model I.a) "m" is not part of the label but of
the TSPEC

            - Needs to be in the TSPEC to decouple client signal traffic
specification and management of the optical spectrum

            - Does not need to be in the label, since it is carried in
the TSPEC / flowdescriptor flowspec. Having in both places is redundant
and open to incoherences, extra error checking

            - Does not need to be in the label, it is in the TSPEC and
for OTN it was decided to remove tspec-related params out of the label

c) Assuming a data plane model I.a) "m" is both path of the label and
the TSPEC

            - It reflects both the concept of resource request /
allocation / reservation and the concept of being inherent part of the
switching

d) Different label format, since the data plane model is different
(I.b, I.d)

IV) Requirements/Framework documents
==========================

*) Two of the framework drafts are quite similar, based on I.a) - main
difference is  III.a) and III.b)

      - they could be merged if a final decision on the label format was
made (also merged stating the different options, as Lou said)

  *) Point raised regarding the multi-carrier / single-carrier questions
(as optical modulation formats)

      - Yes,  both: the management of the optical spectrum (once the
"frequency range" or "m" is allocated) should not imply whether we
consider only single carrier or multi carrier. As long as the client
singal uses the allocated frequency slot whether the transceiver uses a
single carrier (i.e. qam) or multi-carrier (o-ofdm) are both covered

      - No,  only single carrier

V) Signalling / RSVP-TE
==========================

* At least two signaling drafts could be aligned once we have a common
definition of a label (III,a,b,c)

* Open issue with Sender Descriptor SENDER_TSPEC and flow descriptor
FLOWSPEC:

a) should contain "m" - this decouples client signal data rates,
modulation, fec, etc. from the optical spectrum management

b) having "m" in the tspec is problematic in the case of O/E/O -
wavelength / spectrum converters since it can imply that m changes along
the path
     (could be a problem or not, there is also the ADSPEC)

c) client signal tspec (e.g. intserv token bucket tspec) should/could be
"piggybacked" in the tspec that carries "m"

d) It is not clear whether the "span" of an LSP should cover O/E/O
elements, (trail termination) thus even if all-optical conversion is
deployed TSPEC will not change

e) for data rates 40/100/400 Gbps with advanced modulation formats
(coherent O-OFDM, polmux, etc) all optical conversion may not be ready
in a near future?

Routing
==========================

*) Routing "Labels"

a) having the label format III.b) unifies "signaling labels" and
"routing labels"

b) routing "label format" and "signaling label format" may be different

c) There is no such thing as "routing labels": A path computation entity
(being an ingress, intermediate node or a PCE) basically needs (other
than ROADMs and transceivers capabilities and limitations) a TE link
characterization by means of the knowledge the status and availability
of central (nominal) frequencies (n parameters) in the operating band.
It happens that in WSON, labels uniquely identify wavelengths, but this
may not be the case in SSON. In other words, disseminating labels in
WSON is a "short hand" for disseminating wavelength identifiers, but the
same idea does not need to apply in SSON: the requirement of knowing the
central frequencies does not map to knowing the labels, except for some
of the proposed label formats. In order to disseminate the status of
central frequencies, efficient encodings may use a combination of bitmap
encoding or "group" them. This is where the use of something like "m" to
convey a "range" may be beneficial, but this is only from the point of
view of encoding (labelsets)

* Max LSP bandwidth per prio / unresv b per prio

      - At data rates of GBps / TBps, encoding bandwidths with bytes per
second unit and IEEE 32-bit floating may be problematic / non scalable.
Potential problems in CSPF may

      - This field is not relevant since there is not a 1-to-1 mapping
between bps and Hz, since it depends on the modulation format, fec,
either there is an agreement on assuming best / worst case modulations
and spectral efficiency.

Hope this helps

Ramon