RE: Valid Race Condition related to draft "draft-ietf-mpls-crlsp -modify-03.txt"

"Don Fedyk" <dwfedyk@nortelnetworks.com> Wed, 25 April 2001 23:34 UTC

From: Don Fedyk <dwfedyk@nortelnetworks.com>
To: manoj juneja <manojkumarjuneja@hotmail.com>, loa.andersson@utfors.se, p_sharma@trillium.com
Cc: mpls@UU.NET, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Valid Race Condition related to draft "draft-ietf-mpls-crlsp -modify-03.txt"
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:34:10 -0400

Manoj

This thread has gone full circle. Just because the draft is
most useful for CR strictly routed LSPs does not mean it is
harmful to loose LSPs.
If it were up to me I would put a question any wide spread use of
loose LSPs. These LSPs are operational headaches. The more
you add the more provisioning you have to change should
your network change. One of the benefits of the modify draft
was to make CR strictly routed LSPs less of a an operational
headache and an even better option than loose LSPs.
But the question is the draft only applicable to Strict LSPs?
My answer is no in fact if you wanted to modify the explicit
part of a strictly LSP this feature would work and must work without
any race conditions (which was the original objection).

Any implementation of the modify will have a knob to turn on
or off the modify so if you don't want the feature don't use it.

Don