Re: Route Exclusion

"Adrian Farrel" <afarrel@movaz.com> Tue, 10 June 2003 19:16 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <afarrel@movaz.com>
To: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Cc: stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be, Cheng-Yin.Lee@alcatel.com, Ron Bonica <Ronald.P.Bonica@mci.com>, 'Kireeti Kompella' <kireeti@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: Route Exclusion
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:16:25 -0400

All,

Ron has asked me to post a summary of where this work fits into the WG and,
unless there are objections within the next couple of days, to post the existing
draft
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lee-ccamp-rsvp-te-exclude-route-02.tx
t) without revisions, as a WG draft.

This is a third last chance to object :-)

The draft specifies ways to communicate route exclusions during path setup using
RSVP-TE.
Route exclusions are useful when full path computation is not performed at the
head of an LSP. This happens when
- an external route server is used (see
draft-vasseur-mpls-path-computation-rsvp-te)
- there are domains of computation (such as, but not limited to, areas and ASs)
- loose hops or non-specific abstract nodes are used.

Route exclusion allows the LSP requester to communicate the requirement to avoid
nodes, links, resources or SRLGs. This may result from
- user requests in the MPLS-TE-MIB (see draft-ietf-mpls-te-mib)
- protection diversity requirements (see
draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-recovery-analysis etc.)
- crankback and local repair avoidance of errored or blocked resources (see
draft-iwata-mpls-crankback)

Applicability is to packet and non-packet networks. MPLS and GMPLS.

Requirements also come from
- the ITU-T's ASON architecture (see draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ason-reqts)

Value is present in single area/AS systems. The concept is also applicable to
multi-area/multi-AS TE.

With regard to the *existing* CCAMP charter, this work is covered by many of the
charter items, but best by:
- Define signalling protocols and measurement protocols such that they
  support multiple physical path and tunnel technologies
- Abstract link and path properties needed for link and path
  protection.
  Define signalling mechanisms for path protection, diverse routing and
  fast path restoration.  Ensure that multi-layer path protection and
  restoration functions are achievable using the defined signalling and
  measurement protocols, either separately or in combination.

It is possible that the revised charter will include
- multi-area/multi-AS
- explicit recognition of the ASON requirements

Further details can be found in the draft.
The authors would be happy (sic) to answer any questions, preferably on the
list.

Adrian