RE: Question: purpose of LMP ChannelActive message (was relations hip of RSVP-TE and LMP)

Jonathan Lang <jplang@calient.net> Tue, 18 September 2001 16:23 UTC

From: Jonathan Lang <jplang@calient.net>
To: 'George Young' <george.young@edgeflow.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Question: purpose of LMP ChannelActive message (was relations hip of RSVP-TE and LMP)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:23:51 -0700

George,
  Sorry, I missed this one.  See inline.

-Jonathan

The ChannelActive message is used to indicate that the channel status is
active and should be monitored.

> I'm assuming a call is set up through an optical cross connect (OXC),
> either in response to control plane signalling (e.g. RSVP-TE) or
> management plane input.
> The OXC has knowledge of which optical links are involved
> with the call for failure monitoring purposes.
>
> What additional information would the receipt of a
> ChannelActive message convey?
This is useful when paths are pre-established (e.g., for path protection).
Although signaling is used to setup the resource reservation, on switchover
you need a mechanism to trigger monitoring of the data channel.