RE: Two week last call on draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ethernet-arch-03.txt

"PAPADIMITRIOU Dimitri" <Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.be> Sun, 16 November 2008 23:13 UTC

Subject: RE: Two week last call on draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ethernet-arch-03.txt
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 00:09:21 +0100
From: PAPADIMITRIOU Dimitri <Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.be>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

hi adrian

reading this doc. the section 2

 2      Background  ................................................   5
 2.1    Ethernet Switching  ........................................   5
 2.2    Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM)  .........   7
 2.3    Terminology  ...............................................   8
 2.3.1  Concepts  ..................................................   8
 2.3.2  Abbreviations and Acronyms  ................................   9
 2.4    Ethernet and MPLS similarities and differences  ............  10

as it names indicates provides Ethernet background info while i thought
the doc. was meant to deal with protocol architecture issues. of course
there is a relationship but these sections should better be included in
an appendix or so. The sentence "Ethernet is similar to MPLS in that
there is a default payload type." i missed the def. of a payload type in
RFC3031.

Section 2.3 should also be made separate from this background
information on Ethernet techno itself.

Section 6 reads as a recommendation on protocol usage not on
architecture e.g. "It is RECOMMENDED that LMP not be used for Fault
management and instead the native Ethernet methods be used." I am not
sure to see why an IETF document shall preclude usage of its own
protocols except if there is a good reason for (use of LMP on shared
medium is tedious since on CC shall be setup between each node).

Other comments:

" Extensions to support non-IP based LSP identification in signaling,
i.e., replacement of the IP address in the RSVP SESSION or SENDER_TSPEC
objects, are not permitted under this framework."

-> Well i would phrase this in the other way around "Support of Ethernet
MUST strictly comply to the GMPLS protocol suite addressing as specific
in RFC3471, RFC3473 and related."

"This document allows for the support the signaling of Ethernet
   parameters across multiple domains"

-> How do you define the term domain in the present context ? is it
related to the Ethernet partitioning and/or segmentation in
client/provider MAC address space ?

thanks,
-d.