[CDNi] Éric Vyncke's Abstain on draft-ietf-cdni-uri-signing-24: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 03 January 2022 12:50 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-cdni-uri-signing@ietf.org, cdni-chairs@ietf.org, cdni@ietf.org, kevin.j.ma@ericsson.com
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 04:50:26 -0800
Subject: [CDNi] Éric Vyncke's Abstain on draft-ietf-cdni-uri-signing-24: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cdni-uri-signing-24: Abstain

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-uri-signing/

COMMENT:

Thank you for fixing all my previous COMMENTs in the -22 revision and
addressing parts of my previous DISCUSS by using “NOT RECOMMENDED” in section
2.1.10 in the -24 revision.

I am afraid that I still do not see the value of having cdniip in this
document, but, as I do not want to block this document, I am balloting ABSTAIN.

The section 7 (security considerations) is still very light on the IP address
sharing. I would welcome some applicability statements on the use of cdniip.

-éric

== DISCUSS (kept for archive) ==

-- Section 2.1.10 --
About "Client IP (cdniip) claim", I really wonder whether this could be used in
real life as some IPv4 Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) have a large pool of "public"
IPv4 addresses that could select different public IPv4 addresses if badly
designed. How will it work with dual-stack UAs where some connections could be
over IPv4 and some over IPv6 ? Now to mention a dual-home (Wi-Fi & mobile data)
UA ? Or what if the dCDN is between the UA and the CGN (assuming that the uCDN
or CSP are upstream of the CGN) ?

Also, "If the received signed JWT contains a Client IP claim" uses singular
rather than "one or several"

I also noted that Section 7 (security considerations) puts some restrictions on
the usefulness of cdniip.

I would welcome some applicability statements on the use of cdniip.