Re: [CDNi] draft-ma-cdni-metadata-01.txt: mD objects extensibility

Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com> Wed, 02 November 2011 22:31 UTC

From: Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com>
To: "emile.stephan@orange.com" <emile.stephan@orange.com>, "cdni@ietf.org" <cdni@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:30:51 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "bsd@cisco.com" <bsd@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [CDNi] draft-ma-cdni-metadata-01.txt: mD objects extensibility

Hi Emile,

  By extensible, I mean that uCDNs should be able to define their own
  private metadata (if they want) to describe delivery functions that
  they support and if a dCDN understands it then that's great, but if
  not then the uCDN should be able to specify whether or not the dCDN
  must decline to serve the content.

  In general, I favor a protocol which has opaque data encapsulation,
  using a layered approach, but, there are certainly other ways to do
  it, and the WG may choose to go a different route.  I don't know if
  an 'extension' field is the best approach, but I hope that the CDNI
  MI specification will ultimately support vendor defined metadata.

thanx.

--  Kevin J. Ma