[Cellar] auth48 coordination of XML files

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Sat, 12 June 2021 15:33 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Dave Rice <dave@dericed.com>, cellar@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:33:35 -0400
Subject: [Cellar] auth48 coordination of XML files

Dave Rice <dave@dericed.com> wrote:

    >>> Could you clarify: is it the work itself or the efficiency of the work
    >>> that you’re commenting upon?
    >>
    >> efficiency: I think that you might be causing yourself undo pain.

    > Mind if we move this conversation back on list?I’m happy to step back
    > from this but would prefer this conversation occur with the other
    > authors.

Yes.
The RFC editor has FFV1 in AUTH48.  They have edited our *XML* directly to
put it into their format, which ignores our history of creating it via mmark
and some of the table driven efforts.

Dave seemed to trying to bring our XML (via mmark) into sync with what the
RFC-editor was doing.  I worried that Dave was expending a lot of effort
here.

Most WGs do not attempt to bring their "source" code inline with what the
RFC-editor produces.  The XML goes into the RFC-editor, and is transformed,
and that's that.
For WGs that have edited in XML, one can get the XML from from the rfc-editor
at the end, and just go with that if one will do a "bis" in a few years.

Dave pointed out that the things that the editor was doing would also apply
to ffv1-v4!  Ah, I say, GOOD POINT.

    >> Most drafts, once they are with the RFC editor, are no longer maintained in
    >> git.  (although i've argued that the rfc-editor should be sending a pull
    >> request back to authors, that isn't happening yet).

    > I would like some consensus on this. We’ve been working with a shared
    > base for the two documents nearly back to the working groups origins.

I would say that at this point, the ffv1 (not-v4) direction is dead.
We shouldn't think that we can make changes that matter to that direction.