Classless inaddr draft

Hank Nussbacher <HANK@taunivm.tau.ac.il> Thu, 28 November 1996 10:31 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 11:28:10 -0000
From: Hank Nussbacher <HANK@taunivm.tau.ac.il>
Subject: Classless inaddr draft
To: cidrd@iepg.org

>INTERNET-DRAFT      Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation      November 1996
>   Unfortunately, some old beta releases of the popular DNS name server
>   implementation BIND 4.9.3 had a bug which caused problems if a CNAME
>   record was encountered when a reverse lookup was made.  The beta
>   releases involved have since been obsoleted, and this issue is
>   resolved in the released code.  Some software manufacturers have
>   included the defective beta code in their product. In the few cases
>   we know of, patches from the manufacturers are available or planned
>   to replace the obsolete beta code involved.

Since this might end up as a BCP, perhaps it would be good to have
a section on those major systems that do not conform to this standard
such as Netscape Proxy server 2.0, AIX 4.2, Microsoft NT DNS server 4.0,
etc.  Show also what the typical error message would be when a server
encounters this type of classless inaddr.

Hank Nussbacher