Re: Route table/time growth matrix, pre/post CIDR

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ans.net> Sat, 05 April 1997 00:38 UTC

To: Paul Ferguson <pferguso@cisco.com>
cc: Erik-Jan Bos <erik-jan.bos@surfnet.nl>, cidrd@iepg.org
Subject: Re: Route table/time growth matrix, pre/post CIDR
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 17:14:59 -0500
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ans.net>

In message <3.0.32.19970404065027.006cdeb0@lint.cisco.com>, Paul Ferguson write
s:
> At 08:21 AM 4/4/97 +0200, Erik-Jan Bos wrote:
>
> >Geoff,
> >
> >> Erik-Jan - on't you have this graph?
> >
> >I'll bring this graph to Memphis, on a transparency. I'll be there on Sunday
> >(taking DST into account, thanks Paul :-)).
> >

> No problem.  :-)
>
> BTW, Scott Bradner pointed me to:
>
>   ftp://ftp.nic.surfnet.nl/surfnet/net-management/ip/nets.ps
>
> Which provides a graph of prefixen counts since 1 Jan 94. This helps
> immensely.
>
> One thing that I was also looking for was an extrapolation of what the
> prefix count would be today without CIDR. One figure that has been
> mentioned is somewhere in the neighborhood of 650k, although admittedly
> this needs to be examined more closely.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - paul

You could probably extract this information from the information at
ftp://ftp.merit.edu/nsfnet/statistics.  The pnets and bnets files
should give you a good approximation of the number of nets (actually
the number of nets that actually sent traffic).  These go back to
1988.

Otherwise you could find out if someone from Merit can dredge up stats
from the PRDB which are allegedly on tape somewhere.

Curtis