Re: Telnet Query

"Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com> Mon, 17 May 1993 21:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 19:39:00 +0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com>
Subject: Re: Telnet Query
To: Multiple recipients of list TN3270E <TN3270E@list.nih.gov>

Steve Coya Asked:

>> The notion of fall back. If you can't negotiate TN3270 mode, you
>> still get dumb  (or perhaps dumber) terminal service.

>Can a 3270 device "fall back" into dumb/data terminal mode?

Steve, by "fall back" do you mean if the 3270 terminal type negotiation failed?

Or do you mean that during a 3270 session to "fall back" to a dumb/data terminal
(meaning a VT100 or TTY)?

Or do you mean that a *REAL* 3270 device on a 3174 controller has a dumb/data
terminal mode that it can use when needed?

The first is true for TN3270 today, for some TN3270 servers.  The second in one
case where negotiating out of BINARY results in NVT mode.  The third, will a
3270 is a 3270.  Some 3174 controllers have an async option that converts 3270
to VT100.  And there are cases where host interection almost gets TTY like.

We have made a number of responses to the various questions asked by IESG
members, but I don't know if they are being posted to the IESG list...

Robert  Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
TN3270E WG Chair