Re: Fwd: Re: draft-ietf-tn3270e-luname-print-02.txt

Eddie Renoux <elr0262@newsit2.mcdata.com> Thu, 24 February 1994 22:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 15:19:43 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Eddie Renoux <elr0262@newsit2.mcdata.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: draft-ietf-tn3270e-luname-print-02.txt
To: Multiple recipients of list TN3270E <TN3270E@list.nih.gov>

> > Either way (holding it up for a month or two, then publishing as
> > Informational -or- making it an appendix to RFCS), really boils down to the
> > same thing: it is not intended to be a Standard; it is a limited,
> > interim solution for those who *must* implement something *now*; it will
> > be obsoleted by the Standards RFC.

I agree it is not really a standard but an informational RFC.

> That's the intent as I always understood it.  Although, giving the timing,
> it's not clear to me why someone who hasn't implemented something yet
> wouldn't do RFCS instead of RFCE at this point.

Well there are several clients and servers available now that implement
LUNAMES and TN3270 print.  It will likely take some time to get the
RFCS implemented and tested.  Thus for some time people may want to
implement this protocol.

> If we want to make it an appendix to something, how about RFCI instead
> of RFCS?   The protocol is just a variation of the RFCI protocol.

This seems like a good idea to me conceptually (but I do not know about the
work that would be needed to revamp RFCI to add it).
Eddie Renoux  elr@mcdata.com