[clouds] Cloudy focus

Dave CROCKER <dhc2@dcrocker.net> Tue, 23 February 2010 00:50 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:52:05 -0800
From: Dave CROCKER <dhc2@dcrocker.net>
To: Bhumip Khasnabish <vumip1@gmail.com>
Cc: clouds@ietf.org
Subject: [clouds] Cloudy focus

> From: Bhumip Khasnabish <vumip1 at gmail.com>
>
> Some of the discussion will focus on developing a reference framework and
> defining the use cases for emerging cloud services. We also plan to talk
> about interfaces and protocol profiles including extensions (if needed) for
> implementing (provisioning/maintaining) these services over cloud-based
> systems.

I think that the few postings, so far, underscore the need to have significant
clarity and focus about the interest in pursuing any cloud work in the IETF.

First, even basic definitions are already being debated.  Second, as noted,
there is already quite a bit of cloud standardization work being done elsewhere.
  This includes an entire mailing list devoted to use cases.  So we probably do
not need an IETF working group for that...

Even if the initial set is discarded, we should start discussions with a
statement of specific problems that need to be solved in the IETF, and why the
existing efforts elsewhere are either inappropriate for the work or insufficient
to them.

Starting with something as general as you posted yesterday is likely to do
little more than wander down paths of debate about definitions, theory and
whether the bubbles in the beer constitute a cloud.

I could imagine a number of pragmatic choices that are reasonable for the IETF,
but don't know what you have in mind (and also, I don't know enough about
existing cloud work to navigate choices.)

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking