[clue] contradiction in framework about simultaneous captures in a CSE

"Duckworth, Mark" <Mark.Duckworth@polycom.com> Fri, 21 February 2014 15:06 UTC

From: "Duckworth, Mark" <Mark.Duckworth@polycom.com>
To: "clue@ietf.org" <clue@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:06:06 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: [clue] contradiction in framework about simultaneous captures in a CSE

When we added MCC to the framework, we introduced a contradiction about the provider's ability to encode and send all captures in a CSE simultaneously.

>From section 7.3
"The Provider MUST be capable of encoding and sending all Captures in a single Capture Scene Entry simultaneously."

>From section 9.3
"Each Media Capture MAY be associated with at least one Encoding Group"

The statement from 7.3 is not correct anymore.  Our intent is to allow the advertisement to include captures without an encoding group, but still include those captures in a CSE, as in example 12.3.1 Table 13.  So having a set of captures in a CSE doesn't necessarily mean the provider can encode and send them.

The point of the 7.3 statement is to ensure that encoding limitations and simultaneous set limitations do not prevent a provider from sending all captures in a CSE simultaneously, because that would defeat the purpose of a CSE.  But since we now allow captures without encoding groups, it makes sense to allow CSEs for scenes which the provider has no intention of sending directly at all.

Here is a proposal for changing the sentence in 7.3:
"If all the Captures in a single Capture Scene Entry have an Encoding Group, then the Provider MUST be capable of encoding and sending all those Captures simultaneously."

Is that a good change?

Mark