Re: [codec] Summary of codec specification - Code in RFC

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Sat, 02 October 2010 22:44 UTC

Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 18:44:48 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] Summary of codec specification - Code in RFC

I have serious problems with a standards track RFC whose normative
content can not be read by a human being without additional tools.
I also have serious conceptual problems with an RFC whose normative
content, in human readable form, is 1,000 pages.

I am not objecting to publishing code in RFCs.  That is something we do
frequently.  I am not even objecting to including base64 encoded gzip
code, as informational appendices in an RFC.
However, it seems to me that treating base64 gzip code as normative in
an RFC is distinctly bending the rules for RFC publication.  That text
can not be editted by the RFC Editors.  It can not be subject to
erratta.  And it can not be read as meaningful plain ascii according to
the spirit of our publication rules.

Yes, we have once in a great while published RFCs with tables on the
order of this long.  It was difficult, but in fact the content was
carefully reviewed.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

PS: If the code were a reasonable length, publishing the text of the
code as normative, and the base64 gzip as informative would seem to me
to be a very good way to have clear normative code in an RFC while
making it easy to use the code.