Re: [codec] Summary of codec specification - Code in RFC

Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com> Sat, 02 October 2010 20:21 UTC

From: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:21:57 -0600
To: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] Summary of codec specification - Code in RFC

There been a bit of discussion suggesting that we should put into the draft both the machine readable base 64 version in that is easy to extract, and a version in human readable text that is easy for people to read. This seems like a reasonable idea to me. Just to get a rough idea of what this would look like, I took the current GIT repository and had a look at the code in it. It' a bit over 50k lines including both encoder and decoder. You get 48 lines of real text per page of RFC so the human readable version would be over a 1000 pages. If you take the code, tar it, gzip it, and base64 encode it, you get a bit over 180 pages. This sounds big but given it's some bits on a web server, I don't particularly see any problem with it. I also have no idea how the repository compares to what would be needed to specify the normative parts of the decoder. I may have including in the 50k lines of code all kinds of stuff that was not needed.

Cullen