Re: [codec] consensus call: guidelines and requirements

Jonas Svedberg <jonas.svedberg@ericsson.com> Sat, 27 February 2010 21:00 UTC

From: Jonas Svedberg <jonas.svedberg@ericsson.com>
To: Codec WG <codec@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:03:03 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [codec] consensus call: guidelines and requirements

Hi all,

With respect to the standardization guidelines I see that more work is needed to bring it inline with the spirit of the charter, before adopting as a WG draft document
e.g.
 *The charter is much clearer on the goal of having one standardized codec compared to the
  the <draft-valin-codec-guidelines-02> where in sections 1 and 2  the guidelines target can still be
  seen as the standardization of several codecs.

 *Regarding the IPR section 5, (if this section is to be maintained in the process guidelines at all),
  it needs be aligned with the charter and then further discussion is desired
  especially around the listed subguidelines within section 5.

 *Also in general the WG draft guidelines should be limited to the process description of the codec
  standardization work, and not include motivational/promotional parts. e.g. in section 1, section 5.

The preferred way forward would be to develop the draft-guidelines a bit further
and then check for consensus at  IETF 77.

--

With respect to the requirements draft it is fine as a *starting point*,
(I do see that the definition of the main application and the various design constraints/references for the various points in the "Operating Space" still need further input/discussion.  )

//BR Jonas Svedberg

PS
   As I am new to this list:
   For those who do not know me I am working at Ericsson.
DS