Re: [codec] Summary of test results

Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net> Wed, 22 June 2011 13:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:31:33 +0200
From: Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net>
To: Erik Norvell <erik.norvell@ericsson.com>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] Summary of test results

Hi Erik,

> However, the only way to make correct statements about the performance
> of the final Opus codec is to test this final codec.

We took the MPEG approach to standardization (like with MP3/AAC), which means that the codec is defined by its bit-stream rather than its bit-exact behavior.  For this reason, the version tested from February is the final Opus.  Besides, the encoder hasn't actually changed in any meaningful way since February.

best,
koen.