Re: [codec] I-D Action: draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-00.txt

"Timothy B. Terriberry" <tterribe@xiph.org> Fri, 24 May 2013 17:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 10:19:16 -0700
From: "Timothy B. Terriberry" <tterribe@xiph.org>
To: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] I-D Action: draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-00.txt

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
>>> +<t>On the last frame of the first stream, encoding an independent frame by
>>> +turning off all forms of inter-frame prediction (de-emphasis is allowed).</t>
>>
>> How do people turn that off?
>
> That's actually something that needs to be cleanly exposed in the
> libopus API. The functionality is already there and you can probably get
> it to work by specifying 100% packet loss, but it needs to be a
> dedicated setting.

Well, I still think you need to explicitly list the SILK and CELT
features that should be disabled (since, as you say, you don't want to
refer to the libopus API), not just one feature that you shouldn't disable.

>>> +<t>setting the granulepos of the past page to a point near the end of the last
>>> +frame.</t>
>>
>> How do they determine where that point should be?
>
> I mean that any point near the end would work. Any thoughts on how to
> make this clearer?

I think you need to say more than this. In some contexts you may not be
able to choose how many samples are in the file (encoding a CD with no
inter-track gaps, but where you wish to preserve sample-accurate track
boundaries, for example). That means you may need to do some frame size
juggling to ensure the end of the track lies at "a point near the end of
the last frame". How near is enough? The last half? The last quarter? In
what size frame? Someone without intimate DSP knowledge and knowledge of
the Opus format is not going to be able to make informed decisions here,
so we should provide some guidance.