Re: [coman] Merged terminology draft

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Fri, 09 November 2012 15:17 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 10:17:08 -0500
To: consultancy@vanderstok.org
Cc: coman@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [coman] Merged terminology draft

Hi Peter,

in RFC6606, we are using the following terms (section 5):

   o  host nodes drawing their power from primary batteries or using
      energy harvesting (sometimes called "power-constrained nodes")

   o  mains-powered host nodes (an example of what we call "power-
      affluent nodes")

   o  power-affluent (but not necessarily mains-powered) high-
      performance gateway(s)

   ... (further distinctions not relevant here)

Clearly, it is a bit more complicated than just power-constrained vs. power-affluent.

Even for power-affluent nodes, we don't want to waste energy (green and all that).
One group of power-affluent nodes has a tens-of-kJ secondary battery that is regularly recharged (e.g., smartphones), so the energy supply is large, but with a defined limit per period (e.g, 24 hours for most smartphones); a typical amount of power continuously available (on average) is in the hundreds of mW.

The typical primary-battery powered node has an average power availability on the order of tens to hundreds of µW.  So there is a clear difference -- around three orders of magnitude.  That should nicely separate the classes.

Energy harvesting nodes are different enough to warrant their own group.  But there is a group of energy harvesting devices that find enough energy to almost be power-affluent.  So it might be useful to actually give an approximate boundary, e.g., in µW actually available averaged over a long time.  (That doesn't work very well for event-based harvesting, but you can just assume an event frequency and likely will arrive at a useful number.)

Grüße, Carsten