Re: [core] group-comm comments

"weigengyu" <weigengyu@bupt.edu.cn> Sat, 02 November 2013 13:16 UTC

From: weigengyu <weigengyu@bupt.edu.cn>
To: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>, consultancy@vanderstok.org
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 21:15:47 +0800
Cc: Core <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] group-comm comments

Hi, Esko

I would like to give some comments on the GROUP-COMM draft.

There have use cases for reliable and unreliable multicast communications.
If this draft only for providing unreliable multicast over IP multicast, it
is OK;  just write it clearly.

If the draft intends to have the reliable or partial multicast facility,
the dtaft needs to give what mechanisms can gurantte that.

The draft should define mechnisms that the server can register its
capability of supporting multicast,
this may be put to RD server;
and wether to request reliable groupcomm shoule be the client's request.

> To clarify: under the assumption that a server MAY respond to a multicast
> request,
A mechanism is required to make the server registers its capability. i.e.
whether to support multicast;

> and the client doesn't know a priori how many servers will respond to a
> multicast,
The client may lookup the information from the RD server (if the rerver's
registeration processe were possible);

> (since there are no guidelines/rules for that), the safest thing to do is
> not send the multicast in the first place.
If not first, when to make available?
So, whether it is required should be determined by the client request, and
there should have some authority or priority control to client.

> Therefore the advice is to carefully control sending of multicast
> requests.
Not only to tell that, the draft should have clear descriptions about how
the protocol supports multicast requiests and/or reliable multicast when
required.

regards,

Gengyu

Network Technology Center
School of Computer
Beijing University of Posts & Telecommunications