[core] Fw: group-comm comments

"weigengyu" <weigengyu@bupt.edu.cn> Wed, 06 November 2013 03:40 UTC

From: weigengyu <weigengyu@bupt.edu.cn>
To: core@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:39:56 +0800
Subject: [core] Fw: group-comm comments

Hi, Perter,

Comments inlines.

> It involved a limited number of receivers which are not too far removed
> from the source.
In a hospital, it does.
But if one healthcare center or clinical monitors many servers across a
residence community,
the number of servers may be more than ten thausands or one handred
thausands.

> You would look for a 2-phase commit style of multicast, I expect.
> Only when all receivers received the message, can commit take place
> otherwise, abort.
> Is that correct?
The considered usecase includes collecting data request (1-to-N)  and
That is something different from two-phase commit which is a typical
database consistency algorithm in distributed systems.

> This is a very different approach from the MPL one or the video streaming
> one.
Something like, I think.
I think that the proxy-based approach would be an alternative in the
environments like CoRE.

While  the reliable multicast could provide by transport layer or
application layer,
I do not think the transport layer reliable multicast is suitable for CoRE.

Regards,

Gengyu

> Network Technology Center,
> School of Computer
> Beijing University of Posts & Telecommunications

The medical case is a bit familiar to me.
It involved a limited number of receivers which are not too far removed
from the source.
You would look for a 2-phase commit style of multicast, I expect.
Only when all receivers received the message, can commit take place
otherwise, abort.
Is that correct?

This is a very different approach from the MPL one or the video
streaming one.

As far as I know algorithms exist, but I don't know about
standardization.

Peter