Re: [core] Definition of the ins target attribute - WAS: Endpoint Client Name / Endpoint Name in RD draft

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Thu, 26 April 2018 09:14 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:14:16 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: "Kovatsch, Matthias" <matthias.kovatsch@siemens.com>
Cc: consultancy@vanderstok.org, Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>, 'Christian Amsüss' <christian@amsuess.com>, core@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [core] Definition of the ins target attribute - WAS: Endpoint Client Name / Endpoint Name in RD draft

Hi Matthias,

On of the confusing aspects is indeed the domain.
Domain is used in two senses:
+ d= as a local domain definition within rd to group resources
+ domain as used in DNS

In earlier RD texts a mapping was suggested between d= and the DNS
domain.
That was abandoned because unusable for most building installations as
we know them.

The mapping may be possible for other installations, but it certainly
cannot be a general rule.

The RD-DNS-Sd draft does not want to suggest that you need to learn
DNS-SD to do core discovery,
but you have to learn DNS-sd to get the RD to DNSSD mapping right.
ins is an important attribute to select the service type instance needed
for dnssd.

I am happy to learn how you want to fit ins values into RD discovery.
Possibly you need a new attribute in RD
given that the mapping from RD to DNSSD is not always 1-1.

Greetings,

Peter