Re: [core] application/senml+json in coap content format

Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com> Tue, 05 February 2013 13:38 UTC

From: Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 14:39:42 +0100
To: chrysn <chrysn@fsfe.org>
Cc: core@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [core] application/senml+json in coap content format

Hi Chrysn,

Glad to see your feedback on both CoRE Interfaces and SenML.

On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:06 PM, chrysn <chrysn@fsfe.org> wrote:

> hello core people,
>
> as of experimenting with coap (especially core-interfaces), i'd like to
> transfer sensor data as application/senml+json. however, i didn't find
> any attempt to register that mime type at the content-format registry
> set up in draft-ietf-core-coap-13 -- even though extensive use thereof
> is made in the examples in draft-shelby-core-interfaces-03.
>
> * is there a type in use even though it's not yet published?
>
> * if not, what should i use until one gets allocated?
>
> * which document do i need to watch for a future allocation? (i'd assume
>  draft-jennings-senml-10)

People are actually using SenML, over HTTP using the proposed Media Types and over CoAP using experimental values.

As soon as the CoAP content-format registry has been created the SenML draft can request values to be allocated in that registry.

The other alternative would be to request that entries already be included in the initial registry defined by the CoAP draft. There are actually people using SenML over CoAP (we are at least) for real applications, so I could see justification for that. So a question to the chairs, do you see any issues if we could include the SenML content-format assignments already in the initial registry definition?

> * (being new here,) is this list the right place for such questions?

Definitely! And the authors of these documents are on this list (although this one is slow in responding, appologies).

> * researching current use, i found a glitch in
>  draft-shelby-core-interfaces-03 section 5.8 -- given what the response
>  looks like, the answer to the GET request should be typed
>  application/link-format. are there better places to report such things
>  than here?

Thanks, now fixed in the SVN.

Zach