Re: [core] WG last-call (WGLC) of draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-07

Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com> Thu, 24 September 2015 12:53 UTC

To: weigengyu <weigengyu@bupt.edu.cn>, "Rahman, Akbar" <Akbar.Rahman@InterDigital.com>
From: Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 18:22:54 +0530
Cc: core <core-bounces@ietf.org>, core@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [core] WG last-call (WGLC) of draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-07

Hi Akbar,
Thanks.

Taking clue from Gengyu's response I would like to share the following
input:

The decision to convert an HTTP request to a CoAP request with "No
Response" should be purely based on the application context.
Let us consider a scenario.
We want to operate the lights of a building from a remote control-center
(controlling commands may not be essentially multicast). Let us assume
that the control-center has legacy HTTP infrastructure. But the lights are
CoAP enabled. So the requests from the control-center goes through an HC
proxy. The application requirement, in that case, will decide whether the
requests from HTTP client are to be made CoAP requests with No-Response or
not.

But, there is one point. The HTTP client needs a response as per the HTTP
protocol requirements. So, what response should proxy return?
Looking at Table 2 of the http mapping draft we see that CoAP's 2.04
(Changed) is mapped to either 200 (OK) or 204 (No Content) for the HTTP.
Can we suggest that in cases as described above the proxy SHOULD respond
with the status code: 204  No Content ? This way the client knows that
No-Response is enabled at the CoAP side for the particular PUTs.

Does it make sense?

Regards
Abhijan Bhattacharyya
Associate Consultant
Scientist, Innovation Lab, Kolkata, India
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Consulting

"weigengyu" <weigengyu@bupt.edu.cn> wrote on 09/24/2015 01:40:50 PM:

> From: "weigengyu" <weigengyu@bupt.edu.cn>
> To: "Rahman, Akbar" <Akbar.Rahman@InterDigital.com>, "Abhijan
> Bhattacharyya" <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com>, "Carsten Bormann"
> <cabo@tzi.org>
> Cc: <core@ietf.org>, "core" <core-bounces@ietf.org>
> Date: 09/24/2015 01:50 PM
> Subject: Re: [core] WG last-call (WGLC) of
draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-07

> Hi,
>
> When a http client accesses a CoAP server,
> how does the CoAP client of HC proxy create a NON-reposnse option
> since there is not in HTTP.
> Or it is useless for HC proxy, or not?
>
> Regards,
>
> Gengyu WEI
> Network Technology Center
> School of Computer
> Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications

Bhattacharyya