Re: [core] COMI

Alexander Pelov <a@ackl.io> Thu, 17 September 2015 10:10 UTC

To: core@ietf.org
From: Alexander Pelov <a@ackl.io>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 12:10:21 +0200
Subject: Re: [core] COMI

Dear Hannes,

I like the management interface being defined on a specific protocol -
namely CoAP. Otherwise, we only add layers of interpretation and
syntactic translations (as done in OneM2M), which could be:
1) straightforward (and thus useless - instead, write in CoAP directly)
2) not straightforward (which adds a burden to implementers. Instead -
use CoAP as the base language, and add mapping to MQTT (for example).

I tend to agree with you that we should consider decoupling CoAP from
the underlaying transport protocol (which I think comes for free). The
rationale would be that we could have CoAP running on top of L2, TCP or
other, e.g. in a 6TiSCH or LR-WAN / LPWA network:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wang-6tisch-6top-coapie-00
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pelov-core-cosol-00

So, I'd be in favor of keeping CoAP as the common language for
expressing CoMI, but maybe keep explicit UDP bindings off the draft, and
maybe provide them as examples (unless there are some specific needs). I
have no strong opinion on this, however.

Best,
Alexander