Re: [core] pubsub and sleepy node proxy

"Rahman, Akbar" <Akbar.Rahman@InterDigital.com> Thu, 17 September 2015 16:37 UTC

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <Akbar.Rahman@InterDigital.com>
To: "consultancy@vanderstok.org" <consultancy@vanderstok.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 16:36:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.3.2.86]
x-exclaimer-md-config: bb79a19d-f711-475c-a0f9-4d93b71c94dd
Cc: Michael Koster <Michael.koster@arm.com>, Core <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] pubsub and sleepy node proxy

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry for the delayed response.  Somehow I missed this in my Inbox and only noticed it when I was going over the reflector mailing list records.  My specific suggestions are:

- Yes, it will be good to give more design motivation in your draft.

- Eliminate the tight dependence to 6LoWPAN technology as it is a CoAP application protocol and can be run on any underlying IP network.  I'm not sure if your main motivation for the 6LoWPAN link was due to your L2 security assumptions in Section 9.  But it seems like an artificially restrictive dependence.

- The link to the PubSub server (section 7) looks tenuous and not that convincing to me.

- Editorial - The arrows between the Proxy and Sleepy Node are all 1 directional in Figure 1.  But I understood from the text that, for example, WRITE, should be a bi-directional between Proxy and Sleepy Node (i.e. a WRITE from a Configuring node to the Proxy node should ultimately result in a WRITE to the sleepy node from the Proxy).  Did I understand correctly?

Thanks for the good work.

Akbar