Re: [Cose] Key management for MACs (was Re: Review of draft-schaad-cose-msg-01)

"Jim Schaad" <ietf@augustcellars.com> Wed, 08 July 2015 17:44 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Mike Jones' <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 10:44:47 -0700
Cc: cose@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Cose] Key management for MACs (was Re: Review of draft-schaad-cose-msg-01)

Another case where key management for MACs can be very useful is the case of
DH direct.  This allows for creating of a new unique key for the MAC every
time, while not needing to keep per connection secrets for everything.

Just what security service do you exect to get from a MAC?  That is going to
control how you feel about doing key management.