Re: [COSE] draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations-13

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Mon, 15 February 2021 20:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 12:08:58 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Rene Struik <rstruik.ext@gmail.com>
Cc: John Mattsson <john.mattsson@ericsson.com>, "cose@ietf.org" <cose@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [COSE] draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations-13

Hi Rene,

My understanding is that for the registration requests contained in
draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations, the IANA registration request
process was implicitly started by the IETF Last Call announcement.  It
would also be possible to request assignment in the COSE registries via the
general assignments form linked from https://www.iana.org/protocols/apply .

Since I am currently in the process of performing my own IESG Evaluation of
the draft, I will not comment on (b).  My understanding is that for (c),
the various COSE message structures (e.g., COSE_Sign) include an
'alg'orithm parameter that determins the rest of the processing of the
message.  The various algorithms (e.g., ECDSA) in turn are used with
specific keys, and a given (EC) key will indicate the curve that it is on.
The ECDSA algorithm codepoints are associated with the ECDSA signature
algorithm and a hash function to pre-digest the signature input, and the
curve to use is dependent on the specific key.

In particular, the signature algorithm does *not* also specify a curve
(since the key is supposed to specify the curve), with the sole exception
of ES256K.  ES256K, in turn, is a special case due to (1) the desire to
limit the use of the curve in COSE to just the legacy case for
compatibility with existing signing hardware, and (2) the scope of risk due
to misinterpreting secp256k1 points with secp256r1 points.

So, I would say that the attempt to specify a new ECDSA25519 signature
algorithm that is specific to the curve Wei25519 is not consistent with the
existing structure requirements for COSE signature algorithms; the existing
ES256 signature algorithm can easily be applied to keys on a new Wei25519
curve type, without limiting the signature algorithm to the single curve.
As far as I know, no exceptional circumstances akin to the ES256K case have
been presented that would justify a deviation from the existing practices.

-Ben

P.S. It also seems weird to me that the proposed Wei25519 registration
allows both EC2 and OKP key types; the curves listed in
draft-ietf-cose-rfc8152bis-algs all have a single key type for each curve.
But I only just noticed that as I went to write this mail and haven't
finished reviewing that part of the draft yet...