Re: [dane] Delivery of email if MX is not signed

"Patrik Fältström " <paf@frobbit.se> Sun, 23 August 2015 17:59 UTC

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se>
To: Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:59:37 +0200
Cc: dane@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dane] Delivery of email if MX is not signed

On 23 Aug 2015, at 19:47, Paul Wouters wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>
>> Also, in my example the RRSet the MX is in is _unsigned_:
>>
>> example.com. IN MX 0 mail.example.net.
>>
>> 2. Delivery of the mail over TLS to mail.example.net.
>
> so example.com is unsigned? and mail.example.net is signed, and the TLSA
> record in example.net is signed.

Correct.

> In that case, I believe TLS will be used but the TLSA cannot be
> verified, so while delivery happens over TLS, there is no way to
> verify the identity of the receiver because the MX record could have
> been spoofed.

Excuse me for being slow here. What do you mean by "the TLSA cannot be verified"?

To be more precise:

Unsigned RRSET contain:

example.net. IN MX 0 mail.example.com.

Signed (and properly validated) RRSETs that contains these two records and a few more:

mail.example.com. IN A 192.168.1.1
_426._tcp.mail.example.om. IN TLSA ....

I.e. if only looking at mail.example.com. and _426._tcp.mail.example.com. that is a 100% properly setup DANE "thing".

> I think you are arguing that it should deliver TLS only after validation
> of the TLSA record for mail.example.net. That validation is a false
> sense of security though.
>
> I don't think mail delivery will be halted. since the example.com domain
> is unsigned, anonymous TLS will be used when available, and no
> verification will take place.
>
> I'm not sure what you are proposing to change?

I am not sure I am proposing a change. :-)

What seems to have happened in the tests that Jan did was that IF the MX was not signed, BUT the TLSA was signed and validated correctly, THEN postfix did _NOT_ deliver the email. At all.

I think that behaviour is wrong, and am unsure whether it is a bug in postfix or whether it is a bug in the spec.

   Patrik