Re: [dc] Requirement for a method to manage mac address in DC

Mallik Mahalingam <mallik@vmware.com> Thu, 02 February 2012 19:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 11:21:56 -0800
From: Mallik Mahalingam <mallik@vmware.com>
To: Truman Boyes <tboyes@gmail.com>
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, yu jinghai <yu.jinghai@zte.com.cn>, dc@ietf.org, Lizhong Jin <lizho.jin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [dc] Requirement for a method to manage mac address in DC

In a virtualized environment MAC addresses are not totally random generated.
There is some notion of Management-Entity(s)/controller(s) allocating the
MAC addresses for VMs and ensures that it does not assign the same MAC
address to two different VMs and this work only within the scope of that
management/controller administration. There are some exceptions of course
(a) MAC address exhaustion under a given OUI category (b) manual
copy/cloning of VMs and powering on them using standalone management
entities (c) VMs that use MAC address override for legitimate reasons
[because else things like licensing software breaks]. There are some
mechanisms in place to address (a), but (b) and (c) requires co-operation at
the management-entity/controllers.

Mallik