Re: [decade] FW: I-D Action:draft-farrell-ni-00.txt

Börje Ohlman <borje.ohlman@ericsson.com> Tue, 29 March 2011 07:17 UTC

From: Börje Ohlman <borje.ohlman@ericsson.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:19:09 +0200
To: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
Cc: Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov>, Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu>, decade ietf <decade@ietf.org>, Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>, Christian Dannewitz <cdannewitz@uni-paderborn.de>
Subject: Re: [decade] FW: I-D Action:draft-farrell-ni-00.txt

Hi Rich,

The dannewitz draft has it's origin in the naming work that we have done for Information Centric Networks (ICN). We realized that this type of naming can be of general interest for many applications, also in today's Internet. We thus wrote the draft for ppsp. The work that that draft is based on is largely summarized in the Global Internet Symposium paper "Secure Naming for a Network of Information" (attached), you can also find the presentation at:
https://fit.nokia.com/gi2010/gi2010/GIS2010-SecureNamingNetInf.pdf

In the latest version of the dannewitz draft we have put the emphasis on stating that a flexible secure application independent naming scheme for information objects should be a great thing to have for the future development of the Internet.

The naming scheme presented in the paper was a first shot at that. Our work on this has since then evolved and our current thinking is represented by the farrell draft. Which we think is an even more simple, flexible and extensible way to do secure naming of information objects (and any type of objects for that matter). Please note that we by no means claim this to be the 'final solution'. It is just another proof of concept on the way to, what we hope to see, a common secure naming scheme widely adopted on the Internet for naming information objects.

Hope this helps,
				Börje