Re: [Detnet] WG Review: Rewording in scope statement

"S.V.R.Anand" <anand@ece.iisc.ernet.in> Sat, 19 September 2015 08:29 UTC

Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 13:59:39 +0530
From: "S.V.R.Anand" <anand@ece.iisc.ernet.in>
To: detnet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Detnet] WG Review: Rewording in scope statement

The change looks good to me. This said, I am wondering if the scope
automatically includes the possibility of (i) an heterogeneous network
comprising of mix of L2 technologies, wired and wirelss, within its
administrative domain, rather than strictly a homogeneous one and (ii)
mobile
scenarios where the talker or listener or both can be mobile.

Anand

<mailto:lberger@labn.net>
 >>     <mailto:lberger@labn.net <mailto:lberger@labn.net>>]
 >>     >     > Sent: 18 September 2015 16:52
 >>     >     > To: adrian@olddog.co.uk <mailto:adrian@olddog.co.uk>
 >>     <mailto:adrian@olddog.co.uk <mailto:adrian@olddog.co.uk>>;
 >>     >     ietf@ietf.org <mailto:ietf@ietf.org> <mailto:ietf@ietf.org
 >>     <mailto:ietf@ietf.org>>; iesg@ietf.org <mailto:iesg@ietf.org>
 >>     >     <mailto:iesg@ietf.org <mailto:iesg@ietf.org>>
 >>     >     > Cc: 'detnet WG'
 >>     >     > Subject: Re: WG Review: Deterministic Networking (detnet)
 >>     >     >
 >>     >     > Hi Adrian,
 >>     >     >     I have to say that there were times that I felt the
 >>     same as
 >>     >     you, and
 >>     >     > questioned what a DetNet WG would / should do.  I think
 >>     you hit
 >>     >     the key
 >>     >     > points in your mail and the main work that needs to be
done is
 >>     >     to say
 >>     >     > how all the pieces fit together when operating over IETF
 >>     owned data
 >>     >     > planes, i.e. IP and MPLS, without modification.  I think
 >>     your last
 >>     >     > paragraph summarizes the work to be done quiet well.
 >>     >     >
 >>     >     > > Are you sure that this work is more than an applicability
 >>     >     statement that
 >>     >     shows
 >>     >     > > how existing tools are used to achieve the desired
function.
 >>     >     This document
 >>     >     > might
 >>     >     > > cover data plane, OAM, packet classification,
configuration,
 >>     >     control plane,
 >>     >     > > security, etc. That would be useful work and would
probably
 >>     >     need a WG to
 >>     >     > achieve
 >>     >     > > the necessary discussion.
 >>     >     >
 >>     >     > This answers the question that the work belongs in the
IETF in
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/detnet/
 >>     >     > >>
 >>     >     > >> Charter:
 >>     >     > >>
 >>     >     > >> The Deterministic Networking (DetNet) Working Group
 >>     focuses on
 >>     >     > >> deterministic data paths that operate over Layer 2
bridged
 >>     >     and Layer 3
 >>     >     > >> routed segments, where such paths can provide bounds on
 >>     >     latency, loss,
 >>     >     > >> and packet delay variation (jitter), and high
reliability.
 >>     >     The Working
 >>     >     > >> Group addresses Layer 3 aspects in support of
applications
 >>     >     requiring
 >>     >     > >> deterministic networking. The Working Group
 >>     collaborates with
 >>     >     IEEE802.1
 >>     >     > >> Time Sensitive Networking (TSN), which is responsible
 >>     for Layer 2
 >>     >     > >> operations, to define a common architecture for both
 >>     Layer 2
 >>     >     and Layer
 >>     >     > >> 3. Example applications for deterministic networks
include
 >>     >     professional
 >>     >     > >> and home audio/video, multimedia in transportation,
engine
 >>     >     control
 >>     >     > >> systems, and other general industrial and vehicular
 >>     >     applications being
 >>     >     > >> consider by the IEEE 802.1 TSN Task Group.
 >>     >     > >>
 >>     >     > >> The Working Group will initially focus on solutions for
 >>     >     networks that
 >>     >     > >> are under a single administrative control or within a
 >>     closed
 >>     >     group of
 >>     >     > >> administrative control; these include not only
campus-wide
 >>     >     networks but
 >>     >     > >> also can include private WANs. The DetNet WG will not
spend
 >>     >     energy on
 >>     >     > >> solutions for large groups of domains such as the
Internet.
> [...]
 >>     >     > >>
 >>     >     > >>     Data plane: This work will document how to use IP
 >>     and/or
 >>     >     MPLS to
 >>     >     > >>     support a data plane method of flow identification
 >>     and packet
 >>     >     > >>     forwarding over Layer 3.
 >>     >     > >>
 >>     >     > >>     Data flow information model: This work will
 >>     identify the
 >>     >     information
 >>     >     > >>     needed for flow establishment and control and be
 >>     used by a
 >>     >     > >>     reservation protocol or by YANG data models. The
 >>     work will be
 >>     >     > >>     independent from the protocol(s) used to control
 >>     the flows
 >>     >     > >>     (e.g. YANG+NETCONF/RESTCONF, PCEP or GMPLS).
 >>     >     > >>
 >>     >     > >>     Identification of additional YANG models: This work
 >>     will
 >>     >     document
 >>     >     > >>     device and link capabilities (feature support) and
 >>     resources
 >>     >     > >>     (e.g. buffers, bandwidth) for use in device
 >>     configuration
 >>     >     and status
 >>     >     > >>     reporting. Such information may also be used when
 >>     >     advertising the
 >>     >     > >>     deterministic network elements to a control plane.
 >>     >     Control plane
 >>     >     > >>     related information will be independent from the
 >>     >     protocol(s) which
 >>     >     > >>     may be used to advertise this information (e.g.
 >>     IS-IS or
 >>     >     GMPLS
 >>     >     > >>     extensions). Any new YANG models will be
 >>     coordinated with the
 >>     >     > >>     Working Groups that define any augmented base models.
 >>     >     > >>
 >>     >     > >>     As needed, problem statement: This effort will
 >>     establish the
 >>     >     > >>     deployment environment and deterministic network
 >>     >     requirements.
 >>     >     > >>
 >>     >     > >>     As needed, vertical requirements: This effort will
 >>     detail the
 >>     >     > >>     requirements for deterministic networks in various
 >>     >     industries, for
 >>     >     > >>     example, professional audio, electrical utilities,
 >>     building
 >>     >     > >>     automation systems, wireless for industrial
 >>     applications.
 >>     >     > >>     To investigate whether existing data plane encryption
 >>     >     mechanisms can
 >>     >     > >>     be applied, possibly opportunistically, to improve
 >>     >     security and
 >>     >     > >>     privacy.
 >>     >     > >> The WG coordinates with other relevant IETF Working
Groups,