Re: BOOTP clients with DHCP 'pool' functionality....?

Erikas Aras Napjus <erikas+@cmu.edu> Fri, 11 April 1997 15:55 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:42:20 -0400
Sender: dhcp-v4@bucknell.edu
From: Erikas Aras Napjus <erikas+@cmu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <dhcp-v4@bucknell.edu>
Subject: Re: BOOTP clients with DHCP 'pool' functionality....?

Excerpts from netdev.dhcp-v4: 11-Apr-97 BOOTP clients with DHCP 'po.. by
Justin Clark - I. UK@int
> I have a couple of questions to pose to the group:
>
> 1> Any fundamental flaws in this?

We've been doing it with our server since it's inception. So far we
haven't run into any difficulties outside of the obvious eventual
address exhaustion. Our server automatically tries to minimize IP
address changes for both dynamic BOOTP and DHCP clients. (We also only
do "dynamic BOOTP" for a fairly small portion of our network.)

> 2> Can the static/dynamic table be in memory cache or should it be
> committed to disk?

We cache in memory, but dump to disk periodically. We do this with all
of the normal lease information for both dynamic BOOTP and DHCP in case
the process loses its own state.

> 4> Are there any commercial or shareware vendors providing such a
> capability? i.e a large corporate doesn't need to build a MAC/IP address
> pair table for each client - the server dynamically builds the table
> based on first allocations?

We do it. I suspect others do as well.

--- Erikas