RE: [dhcwg] Draft agenda

"Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <volz@cisco.com> Sun, 24 July 2005 01:22 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Draft agenda
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:22:08 -0400
From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
To: "Ralph Droms (rdroms)" <rdroms@cisco.com>, Stig Venaas <Stig.Venaas@uninett.no>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

There were only two people to comment - Ted Lemon and David Hankins (and
THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS!). And, as far as I determine from the current
discussion the only issue outstanding is the second paragraph of section
6.3.

But, I fear that this is will not make the cut for the required level of
feedback for a WG Last Call as past experience has shown that to be the
case.

Much of the problem is that I think not many people care about this
issue any longer as everyone that did at one time is using TXT records
to store the "client identity" (so there's no need for the DHCID RR and
actually deploying that will just make more work), conflicts are
basically already being resolved, and the (DHCPv4) FQDN option has been
in deployment for years. Thus, very few comment on these drafts (or has
long since lost interest in doing so).

This is also one reason I personally would like to see 6.3 stay as it
is. Existing deployments that are using TXT records and doing conflict
resolution just fine should not be required to switch to the algorithm
specified in the draft (yes, I know we don't say MUST). They should just
be able to switch to the DHCID RR.

- Bernie