RE: [dhcwg] Error codes for Decline message

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Mon, 21 January 2002 07:54 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Jim Bound' <seamus@bit-net.com>, Vijayabhaskar A K <vijayak@india.hp.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Error codes for Decline message
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 01:45:08 -0600
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

I agree with Jim (we may want to add some additional error codes down the road).
At one point in the discussions, we were about to abandon all error codes and
simply have a success / failure indication. So, please think minimal error codes!

I don't agree with Vijay's position that the two instances given are Decline
cases. They should instead result in Releases (if a client doesn't want an address
the server gave it, it should Release it).

Also, other than for "logging", I don't believe the server really cares. Decline
says to basically "Abandon" the address as it appears to be in use by a system
already when it should not be.

Release says just to release the addresses and place them back into the available
pool of addresses.

The status codes don't change the processing, IMHO. You don't even need to set
them to specific values (the error codes are more for server to client communication
in Reply's, IMHO).

- Bernie