RE: [dhcwg] BCMCS server option drafts

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Wed, 27 October 2004 19:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:28:56 -0400
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] BCMCS server option drafts
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

What about the deployment issue? The 3GGP2 specification will be
ratified in November, with deployment following soon.  Some service
providers already have DHCP servers in place that must be updated for
any new options.  The options defined in the current drafts can likely
be supported without code changes to existing servers, allowing for
faster deployment.  Use of a VIVSO sub-option would require code
changes to existing servers.  How long would it take to deploy DHCP
server that can support VIVSO?

BTW, we need more discussion of this issue *soon* due to the time
constraints of the upcoming 3GPP2 standards process and deployment.

- Ralph