RE: [dhcwg] BCMCS server option drafts

"Kuntal Chowdhury" <chowdury@nortelnetworks.com> Wed, 27 October 2004 20:52 UTC

From: Kuntal Chowdhury <chowdury@nortelnetworks.com>
To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, volz@cisco.com
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] BCMCS server option drafts
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:32:36 -0400
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

I have a few questions on the possible use of DHCPv6 OPTION_VENDOR_CLASS and
OPTION_VENDOR_OPTS to request vendor specific info:

1. Since the enterprise number is included in OPTION_VENDOR_OPTS, will it
suffice to use only this option in the information request message from the
DHCP client? Is the use of OPTION_VENDOR_CLASS mandatory while vendor
specific options are requested?

2. Does the mere inclusion of OPTION_VENDOR_OPTS in the information request
message indicate to the DHCP server that the DHCP client is requesting for
some specific vendor specific options?

3. O-R-O has the format where each of requested option codes are listed in
it. However, in OPTION_VENDOR_OPTS the encapsulated vendor-specific options
field MUST be encoded as a sequence of code/length/value fields. What value
does the DHCP client use while requesting for a vendor specific option?

These things are not clearly defined in RFC3315.

Regards,
Kuntal